I am really loving dressing up pillows this month! Here's a fun way to fluff up your ever day bed pillows. Enjoy the tutorial and as always, Have Fun!
The versatility of this project is great too! Do it up with 2 fat quarters and some muslin or plain cotton (see below). Or,
Do it up with 4 fat quarters like below.
- 2 Fat quarters and 1, 35-1/2" x 22" muslin (or other matching cotton print/solid) OR 4 Fat quarters
- 2, 22" x 1" (give or take) pieces of Ribbon or matching cotton scraps
- Measuring Tool
- Twin/Full/Queen sized bed pillows
1. After deciding how you want your fat quarters to be arranged. Take two fat quarters for one of the sides of the pillow and pin them right sides together. Sew or serge along only one 22" side using a 1/4" seam allowance attaching the two fat quarters. Open seam and press.
2. Take the non-sewn 22" side you want to be the open edge of the pillow and fold it over 1-1/4" wrong sides together. Press.
3. Fold the previously folded edge over again this time fold it 2-1/2". Press.
4. Turn over the pillow and fold the edge over another 2-1/2" in the opposite direction so that the right sides of the fabric are together. Press.
5. Pull out the 1-1/4" fold and fold it over the edge of the sham so that you have a doubled 2-1/2" flap with the 1-1/4" creating a finished edge.
6. Secure the 1-1/4" edge by using a 1/4" edge stitch along the unfinished edge.
7. Open the 2-1/2" flap and put in one piece of ribbon. You can secure it between the flap and the main part of the pillow sham using pins or basting tape (you know I LOVE my basting tape!).
8. Sew the ribbon between the flap and the pillow case using a 1/4" edge stitch on the pillow flap.
*If you are using fabric scraps, then fold the piece in half, wrong sides together and place it in just like the ribbon, only with the folded side showing out of the flap.
9. If you are using 4 fat quarters to create your pillow sham, then repeat steps 1-8 with the other 2 fat quarters. If you are using only 2 fat quarters, then repeat steps 2-8 with one of the sides of the 35-1/2" x 22" piece of fabric.
10. Line up your two sets of fat quarters, right sides together and sew (or serge) the three raw edges together using a 1/4" seam allowance.
11. Turn the pillow sham right side out and put it around your pillow.