We decided to rearrange our house this year and move my studio from the smallest room of the house into one of the largest rooms in our house.
With the extra space I knew I could finally have an ironing table! Instead of a tiny Ironing board.
I also was in dire need of more shelving for books, fabric, supplies, etc. So I combined those two needs into one new piece of furniture.
To build this I got:
- Two low cost bookcases ($25 each).
- One piece of melamine board measuring 24" x 48".
- Two 12" pieces of pressure treated 2' x 4' wood.
- 3 yards of Insul-Bright.
- 2 yards of cotton fabric.
- Four 4" long flat head wood screws with bolts.
- Staple Gun.
I used the 2' x 4' wood pieces to raise the melamine off of the book shelves. This created space for the steam to go somewhere when ironing and the ability to change the cover easily.
I used two screws on each bookshelf to connect them to the melamine and the 2' x 4'.
I sewed the insul-bright together so that it was wide enough to go around the melamine. Then I used the staple gun to attach the insul-bright all round the melamine.
Finally, I made a removable cotton cover to go over the board. This way I can take it off and wash it or make new ones!