Sometimes a plain old hair tie just isn't cute enough!
So here's a quick way to make one a bit spunkier and you can even use up some scraps.
- 2- 5" Charm Squares, or 1- 2 1/2" x 13 1/2" strip of fabric.
- Matching Thread
- 8" of 1/2" wide elastic
1. If using 2 charm squares, Cut in half lengthwise.
If using a strip then skip to step 5.
2. Cut one of the halves of one of the charm squares in half widthwise.
3. Sew the two shorter pieces to the two longer pieces with 1/4" seam allowance.
4. Sew the two pieces you now have together making one long 2 1/2" x 13 1/2" Strip.
5. Fold strip in half lengthwise and press.
6. Unfold. Fold in the raw edges to meet at the center fold line.
7. Fold in half again, enclosing the raw edges.
8. Unfold, being sure to keep creases visible and ready to be folded there again.
Fold strip in half widthwise, wrong sides together.
Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.
The strip is now a "loop".
9. Refold at creases made previously, enclosing the raw edges on the inside.
Offer the helper something sweet so you can continue on your way (optional).
10. Sew all around the open edge, leaving a 1/2" opening to string some elastic.
11. Take the elastic and string it through the fabric.
12. Once through, sew ends of elastic together with about 1" of elastic overlap.
13. Finish pulling the elastic through and stitch the opening closed.
Tada! Wouldn't two of these be so stinkin' cute on a little girl with pigtails???
If you make some and and have a little girl, I would love to see pictures!! :)