Tailoring Thursdays™, Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Sewers
I'm going to start this off with one rule:
Zippers are nothing to be afraid of!
You need only three things to succeed:
1. Zipper Foot
2. Wash away wonder tape (or sew-able basting tape)
3. NO FEAR!
HOW TO SEW IN AN INVISIBLE ZIPPER
1. Take your invisible zipper out of the package.
2. Put it on your ironing board teeth side down.
3. Iron zipper.
4. Place zipper along seam where it will be inserted.
Place a pin at the end of the zipper. Just above where the end separates.
5. Place a second pin through BOTH pieces of the fabric and then remove the pin placed in the previous step.
6. Pin the rest of the seam.
7. Sew with a normal sized stitch (2.5 - 3.0 length) along ONLY the part of the seam that will not have the zipper.
8. Using a basting stitch (5.0 length) along the part of the seam where the zipper will be, slightly overlapping the stitches from step 7.
9. Open the seam and press.
Put the basting tape along both sides of the front of the zipper.
10. Take the paper off of the tape of one side of the zipper and place it on one side of the open seam, aligning the top of the zipper with the top of seam.
11. Using the zipper foot, sew as close to the teeth of the zipper as possible.
12. When you get to the zipper pull, stop sewing with the needle down in the machine through the fabric. Lift the foot. Pull the zipper down past the foot.
Finish sewing the zipper.
13. Repeat steps 10 -12 with the other side of the zipper.
14. Turn the item right side out.
15. Carefully with the seam ripper, remove the basting stitches.
16. Trip off the top of the zipper.
17. Voila! You did it! An invisible zipper!
Follow the rest of the instructions according to your pattern. : )