For about 4.5 years now my husband has been asking me to make a cover for my body pillow.
I know 4.5 years, right? It's true.
So I finally got around to making one.
Here's how to make a pillow case for any size rectangular pillow that you want.
To determine your fabric requirements:
|I tried to not show you how terribly my body pillow really does need to be covered. |
Just ignore that and enjoy the pretty pictures at the end! :)
First measure the length of the pillow and add 3", this will be the Length of your fabric.
Then measure the width of the pillow from one side seam to the other and add 2", this will be the Width of your fabric.
Cut 2 rectangles, measuring the Length and Width of above (BODY).
Cut 2 rectangles measuring 7" x the Width of above (LIP).
Cut 2 strips of ribbon (at least 3/4" wide) measuring the Width as well.
1. If using a sewing machine, finish all the edges of your fabric.
If you are using a serger then just serge one of the width edges of the lip pieces.
2. Lay the ribbon along one of the shorter width edges of the body.
4. Pin all 3 layers together.
5. Sew with a 3/8" - 1/2" seam allowance.
6. Open seam and press, making sure to press ribbon down away from lip and toward the bottom of the body.
7. With body and lip open, lay wrong side up.
Turn top of lip over to just cover seam sewn in step 5.
8. Pin lip in place just above ribbon.
Double check the back making sure lip fabric is sitting lower than the pins.
9. Edgestitch along the seam on the lip above the ribbon.
10. Repeat steps 1 - 9 for the remaining body, lip & ribbon pieces.
11. Lay both pieces on top of one another, right sides together. Stitch with a 5/8" seam allowance along the three edges without the lip.
Turn right side out and voila!
I like to put my cases together the above way because it is super fast for me. If I was making a case for someone else, or for commission I would attach the lip in a different way. Like so,
A more "professional" way to put this together would be to:
Sew the ribbon to the tops of the body pieces.
Lay body pieces right sides together and sew along three edges.
Turn right side out.
Take the lip pieces and sew the smaller edges together with a 5/8" seam allowance, creating a circle.
Fold in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press.
Put the lip circle around the open edge of the body. Pin. Sew with a 3/8" - 1/2" seam allowance.