So I. love. coasters. but having them scattered about all willy-nilly drives me crazy! Which is why I like to make some coaster holders!
This coaster holder will be large enough to hold the pieced coasters.
You can adjust the size based on your coasters.
- 1 Fat Quarter
- Scraps from speedy Half Square Triangle post
- 11" square of fusible fleece
- 6 3/4" square of pellon peltex
- 4, 2" x 6 3/4" strips of pellon peltex
- 8, 5" strips of ribbon
1. Cut out an 11 1/2" x 11 1/2" square from the fat quarter.
2. With the remaining fat quarter cut it down to 11 1/2" x 6 1/2".
3. Take the left over strips from the Half Square Triangle post and sew them together into 2 strips.
Sew them to the sides of the 11 1/2" x 6 1/2" strip. Trim down to measure 11 1/2" x 11 1/2" square.
4. Center fleece on back of 11 1/2" fat quarter square.
5. On the front of the same square measure 2" from each corner on each side and using your sewline mechanical pencil (or other fabric safe marking tool) mark.
6. Place end of a ribbon on the inside of the line, away from the corner. Stitch in place.
7. Repeat with the remaining ribbons on each corner.
8. Take pieced square and mark the center on the wrong side of fabric. Measure 3 3/8" out from the center toward each side and mark. This will create a 6 3/4" square.
9. Fuse the 6" peltex to this center on the wrong side of fabric.
10. Mark the center of each edge of the pieced square. Measure out 3 3/8" from the center and mark.
11. Leaving a small gap 1/4" or so between the center peltex, fuse one of the strips of peltex in between the ines.
12. Repeat with other 3 sides.
13. Place the pieced square on top of the ribbon square, right sides together.
14. Sew along two opposite sides ONLY with a 1/2" seam allowance. (BE SURE NOT TO SEW THE RIBBONS INTO THE SEAM)
15. Turn right side out.
16. Tuck other edges in 1/2". Press.
17. Edge stitch along all four edges, closing off the two open sides.
18. Top stitch a square in the ditch created between the pieces of peltex.
19. Tie up each corner, creating a box.
Fill with coasters!
Come back for my Tailoring Thursday this week for a chance to win a Sewline Mechanical Pencil! And to see the next part in this fat quarter series!
Have Fun Sewing!