Tailoring Thursdays™, Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Sewers
Faster Piecing: Multiple Half Square Triangles from Two Fat Quarters
The next few tutorials and tips will feature fat quarters. The fast piecing tips will each be used to create a table set: coasters & a table runner. So if you want to follow along, have 10 coordinating fat quarters and let's go!!
So you know those half square triangles (HST) that you usually sit and chain piece together one at a time?
Did you know you can also sew up a whole bunch at one time, with just two fat quarters?
1. Start with two fat quarters that you want to end up with half square triangles.
2. Place them with right sides together.
3. Take the final size square you want and add 7/8" here's my Half Square Triangle Cheat Sheet again:
For my project set, I made HST's that measure 3 3/4", after adding 7/8" my cut square size is 4 5/8"
This is where I grab my Sewline Mechanical Pencil
4. First draw a 1/4" - 1/2" line in from all four sides, OR 1" in from the selvage if you have a selvage on your fat quarter.
5. Draw a parallel line 4 5/8" (Or, whatever your cut square size is) from one of the edge lines. Repeat all the way to the end of that fat quarter.
6. Repeat step 5 with one of the perpendicular edges.
7. Starting at one corner draw a diagonal line across the two corner squares (I recommend using a different color mechanical pencil for the diagonal lines).
8. Repeat with the reflecting corner.
9. Draw two more diagonal lines creating a square, or if you have smaller cut square sizes you would just draw the diagonal line all the way across the squares.
10. Draw diagonal lines through the remaining squares.
11. Sew 1/4" inside the diagonal lines.
12. Sew 1/4" outside the diagonal lines.
13. Cut on all the straight lines. and the diagonal lines.
14. Open the seams and press. Tada! You have 24 HST's in a lot less time! The amount of HST's you end up depends on your cut square size, you can end up with more or less.
Come back for tomorrow's tutorial to see how we are going to use this pile of HST's!
And now for the giveaway!
Want to win your own Sewline Mechanical Pencil?
1. Leave a comment telling me how long it's been since you've done a cartwheel!
2. Go to the Fat Quarter Shop's Facebook page and like it, come back & leave a comment saying you liked it for another chance to win!
3. While you are on Facebook, like my page, come back & leave a comment saying you liked it for another chance to win!
Winners will be drawn this Sunday, October 9th.
Come back next Thursday for another chance to win!
Giveaway sponsored by Fat Quarter Shop