Tailoring Thursdays™, Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Sewers
Enclosed Garment Seam
Another specialty seam that I enjoy using on garments is an enclosed seam. This is especially great for silk clothing.
1. On the wrong side of ONE of the sides draw a line 5/8" from the edge (or whatever your seam allowance is).
2. Place both pieces of fabric wrong sides together.
3. Sew together with a 1/4" seam allowance.
4. Open the seam.
5. Turn fabric around, fold fabric at seam, right sides together.
6. Sew on the line you drew in the first step.
7. Then Open the seam.
And there you have it -- an beautiful enclosed seam!